Wednesday, October 14, 2009

A bad day turned good


Jayson woke up today with a smile that lasted about two minutes and then morphed into a terrible two's type bad mood. I realized this would probably be an all day type mood so we skipped playdate. I don't regret missing the Oktoberfest celebration. Jayson's bad mood continued through lunch when he threw all his food on the floor and into naptime when he insisted on falling asleep in his mini armchair instead of his bed. He woke up in a bad
mood and barely touched his dinner even though I made his favorite chicken nuggets. We had to go to Target and I was relieved to find him in a better mood at the store. He convinced his daddy to buy him a movie replica woody doll from A Toy Story. He came home and watched the movie with his new woody doll. As the movie began to end I started dreading our usual nighttime fight before bed. I got him his toothbrush as the credits were rolling and let him watch to the very end, hoping to delay the kicking and screaming match a little longer. Finally, I shut off the TV. He took off into his room and I followed preparing for a chase. I finally got him onto the couch and changed his diaper while he screamed bloody murder. Once his pajamas were on I grabbed his woody doll and two books and set his twilight turtle in it's usual place. The first book was shot down immediately. It is not a dinosaur night. The next book followed a firefly as he met different types of bugs. I counted the bugs in the book. When I was done Jayson grabbed the book and counted the bugs himself. Of course they were all his favorite number, two. When the book was done I asked him to put woody to bed and to my surprise he gave woody a kiss, tucked him in and then laid down himself. I shut off the light and turned on twilight turtle, soon the ceiling was covered in constellations. Jayson leaned over and gave me a kiss, then we sang twinke twinkle little star while gazing up at the "night sky" on his celiling. He grabbed my hand and asked for a belly rub and quick as anything he was sound asleep. I couldn't believe how peacefully he went to bed. I laid next to him for a while just basking in the happiness of his sweet litte face, free of tears after not crying himself to sleep for the first time in weeks. I thought about Jay and what an amazing job he does as a husband and father. My hear overflows with love for him when I think of all he does for our family, of how he is always there for me when I need him, despite his own busy schedule. I think of how lucky I am to have him in my life, how lucky Jayson is to grow up with a loving, doting father. I think of Jayson and how sweet and thoughtful he can be. I know he will grow up to be a sensitive and loving man, even if he is a little stubborn. I think to May when the new baby is due and I am so excited for this new addition to our family. I look forward to Jay's excitement and can't wait to see him holding his second child for the first time. I look forward to Jayson becoming a big brother because I know he will be a wonderful older sibling. And I know I am blessed with so many wonderful things in my life because I have this family that is perfect in my eyes and that I love with a depth indescribable. It's nights like these that make me anxious for the morning, when I can sit between these two wonderful gentlemen and know that everything I could have ever hoped for is sitting right next to me, my amazing husband and wonderful son, my whole perfect world in one room.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone 3G[S]

No comments: